Feelin' Classique
For the first time here, I had a chance to go to the Orchestra. Some people bought tickets but couldn't make it, so I filled a spot at the last minute. It was Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, performed at the Symphony Center downtown where the Chicago Symphony Orchestra normally plays. Even though we were up really high, it didn't matter cuz the music was really beautiful. They played Schumann Symphony No.1 for the first half, and Mahler Symphony No.5 after intermission. The second half was a bigger orchestra, with more instruments and more players. Watching the conductor, Riccardo Chailly, was already fun for me :) I think conductors must be like that - very involved and passionate. The fact that I'm probably amateur, watching the conductor would help me understand and feel the music more. It reminded me back when I took piano lessons and my teacher had to dig out the 'feeling' and 'emotion' out of me.. It was close to impossible - I played like a lifeless piece of rock, hehe.. Maybe if i try now, the expressions might come out more.. maybe..
After a while, I found myself observing the players' behavior.. for example, the guys in the back who played trumpets occasionally had to take out the mouthpiece or something and shake the water out.. or that those playing clarinets were actually playing two instruments (which I haven't figured out.. maybe oboe). The flute sounded so dreamy.. and the harp was pretty as well. And the guy who played the timpani (drums) looked like he was enjoying it so much! It was very fun night. Too bad there was no encore.. we were clapping for a very long time at the end.. but nope.. that's it folks!
1 comment:
I'm surprised you've never been to an orchestra! How could that be?!?!
I would assume clarinet players switch to oboe at times. Also flutes and piccolos. Did I ever told you I used to take flute class, but never succeed in it? Prolly don't have long enough the breath cuz I always ended up dizzy after hitting high notes for a while! =P
Post a Comment